Over time, you’ll discover that your precious bathtub no longer looks stunning. Don’t panic. Just like other plumbing fixtures and appliances, it is also prone to deterioration. It may incur cracks. It may get chipped off. And it really doesn’t matter whether it’s made from fiberglass or porcelain or ceramic. It will get old and look worn out. So if you are into DIY plumbing, read on and find out how to use a bath repair kit to make your tub look gorgeous again.
1. Clean the affected area thoroughly with a rag and a gentle soap. Rinse it with water and let it dry.
2. Get a fine sandpaper and sand the spot around the crack. Once you’re done, brush the dust away.
3. Using the fiberglass adhesive that came with your bath repair kit, paint the crack. Make sure that it will extend to about an inch around the damaged area. Let the adhesive dry as per instructions.
4. When it’s already dry, get the fiberglass filler and fill the crack up. Use your putty knife and remove any excess filler on the tub’s surface. Once again, let it dry.
5. Sand the affected area using a fine sandpaper until the surface is already leveled. Remove the dust with a clean rag.
6. Combine the epoxy mixture and brush it on the area that you patched. Paint the very crack and extend it up to two inches around.
7. Your repair kit should come with a fiberglass cloth. Cut a piece of it and press it onto the wet epoxy coating. Run your putty knife on the cloth to get rid of air bubbles. Make sure that the cloth is flat and smooth on your tub.
8. Coat the area with another layer of epoxy. Once you’re done, apply the finish sealer or coat with the use of your paint brush. Let the area dry before using the tub.
I hope that you enjoyed reading this bathroom remodeling guide from Chicago plumbing experts. Also read about porcelain tub repair if you need to. And should you require the help of plumbing experts, don’t forget to rely on professional Chicago IL techs.
If you need emergency plumbing help in Chicago IL, watch this video: