Do you want a new toilet that has a better flush mechanism? Is your current ceramic throne worn out? Does it have cracks on it? Won’t it flush anymore? Is it no longer pleasing to the eyes? It really doesn’t matter whether you want to replace your toilet for aesthetic or functional reasons. It is your privilege as homeowner to decide on improvement projects to make your home even more comfortable for you and your loved ones. So if you are planning on getting rid of your current john, let us share with you this easy guide on toilet replacement!
Tools & Materials
* new toilet bowl
* adjustable wrench
* putty knife
* wax seal
* slip-joint pliers
* rubber gloves
1. Gather your materials. Make sure that you’ll wear rubber gloves to protect your hands
2. Turn off the water supply. Flush the toilet to remove the water that’s left in the system. There will still be a little left inside the bowl so you’ll have to use the plunger to flush it down the drain. Meanwhile, use a bucket and sponge to remove excess water inside the tank. Once done, you’ll have to disconnect the supply line from the base of the toilet tank.
3. Detach the toilet by unscrewing the nuts that connect it to the water supply line. Remove the caps and nuts found on the base of the toilet which are responsible for securing it to the floor. If they’re rusty and won’t let go, cut them off using the hacksaw.
4. Using your putty knife, pry up the throne and get rid of the wax seal that was used to keep it in place. Rock the toilet to loosen it up. Lift it away and place it on some rags. Get rid of the wax gasket and block the drain with another rag to avoid letting the sewer gas seep out.
5. Attach a new wax gasket for the new toilet. Make sure that the flange is still in good condition and that it is secured in place. It’s supposed to connect to a collar that will go through the floor.
6. Replace the wax ring. Doing so will seal the connection and prevent sewer gas from escaping out of the drain.
7. Apply caulk on the base of the new bowl and then remove the rag from the drain opening. Place the new toilet in position, allowing it to sit on top of the flange. Press down. Some even sit on the toilet to squeeze it tightly in place.
8. Tighten the nuts and caps but never overdo it as it may crack the toilet. Insert the tank bolts and gently position the tank over the bowl. Secure the nuts and caps and verify that the tank is level. If it is, put the lid on.
9. Connect the water supply line and tighten the compression valve. Once done, turn the valve on and let the tank fill. At this time, you might want to apply caulk along the edges of the new toilet to make it look pleasing to the eyes. Smoothen it out. You might want to wait a day before you use the new toilet. Test it and if something doesn’t work as it is supposed to, seek the help of a professional plumber.
We hope that this guide is helpful enough to assist you in replacing your toilet. Should you need help with any plumbing issues at home, just hire the most reputed Modesto plumber in Stanislaus County! Plumbers 911 California provides exemplary Modesto plumbing services in CA including toilet repair, plumbing fixture installation, drain line inspection and many more! Call us at 800-731-1139 and we’ll send out our crew immediately!
Having trouble with your clogged toilet? Learn how to use the plunger properly! Watch this video now!